Monday, March 11, 2019

Storyboard... video!?

     Okay so... I have decided to do something a tad more creative than usual. Normally, I grab a single copy paper, make some boxes, and do my storyboard like that. However, this short is longer and more intricate that usual, so I wanted to do something that really allows me to see shot-by-shot and gives me a visual as to how it may look. Nico and I know the ending perfectly and exactly how we want to do it. We also know how we would like to do most of the film towards the latter half, so I downloaded an app I found to investigate and see how we could figure out the majority of it.
     I started searching on the App Store and found an application called “Storyboard.” I opened it and after some investigating with Nico to try to understand how to use it, I began drawing. As i looked back at our planning and descriptions of shots/ideas, I tried following my vision and what I would like to see on the screen as I read. Incase you don’t understand what I mean by our planning and descriptions, I’ll include the part that i followed for this storyboard here:
Introduction:

  • (Film in Olivia’s room) close-ups of drawings with credits, pans of boxes in room, zoom out to shot of sketchbook with title appearing
  • Paz sitting at a table finishing sketch of sad stick figure with small house and boxes behind her


First Problem:
  • Close up of Paz’s eyes, eyes close, screen is now much lighter (to show imagination land) (continue filming from over the shoulder shot to eyes)
  • Effect of light appearing as if eyes are blinking, Shot showing Paz standing in front of small house holding a box, Paz turns around looking sad with body shlumped, camera follows Paz to car, Paz places box in car, camera stays on box in car, Paz’s hands re-enter shot and pick up the box, camera follows Paz to outside of house, Paz’s head picks up, camera cuts to showing Paz’s facial expressions growing excited, camera back to where it was before showing Paz running into house
  • Paz is having the time of her life in the house (JUMP CUTS) with confetti, laser lights, toys, smoke machine, cotton candy
  • Imagination ends, eyes open, she is finishing the happy sketch of happy stick figure with big house behind her and a “SOLD” sign (by putting smile on stick figure)
  • (TRANSITION) hear mom yelling “It’s time to go!”, shot of Paz walking with sketchbook in hand switches to Ori walking with sketchbook in hand OR Paz puts sketchbook into box to Ori opening box
Second Problem:
  • Shot of Ori walking with sketchbook in hand OR opening box and taking out sketchbook 
  • Ori throws herself onto bed listening to music while crying, Ori opens sketchbook and flips through it to newest page, Draws image of a broken heart with Ori on one side and guy on the other side, Close up of Ori’s eyes, eyes close, screen is now much lighter (to show imagination land)
  • Effect of light appearing as if eyes are blinking, Shot of picture frame of Ori w boyfriend, Shot of Ori staring at frame crying from above, phone rings, Ori picks up phone, “Hey, do you wanna go out?”, Shot of Ori laying down looking at boyfriend standing on top of bed “You better say no. I just left you. How dare you go out. And if you wear your short shorts I SWEAR!”, Ori picks hand up, boyfriend disappears, Ori confidently says “You know what? Let’s do it!” OR post-it notes on mirror
  • Shot of Ori walking next to stair rail, jump cuts of Ori’s clothes changing every two steps OR sassy walk in front of mirror with smoke and laser lights (fashion show)
  • Imagination ends, eyes open, she is finishing the happy sketch of heart with Ori in middle wearing a crown and spotlight on her happy
  • (TRANSITION) shot of Ori placing book in corner of room on top of letters and leaving to Madelyn cleaning up junk stacked on top of sketchbook while packing for college

    After some time and erasing (drawing over the image with white because the app doesn’t have an eraser tool...), my storyboard is done! With this completed, it will make the filming process much easier. Now we know what we want to see and do for the scenes that we were stuck on before. I drew, changed, re-drew, etc. until arriving at something I feel to be visually appealing and what the short needs. I will share these drawings with you, but just keep in mind that I’m not much of an artist, so please excuse my poor drawing abilities!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Completed Product

The project is now.... complete! Every component you need can be found down below. I hope you enjoy all of my hard work!! - Below I have i...