Friday, March 1, 2019

It's Group Feedback Timeee!

     Today we had the first group feedback! (and yes...my partner was absent again) We got into assigned groups and asked for suggestions on how to overcome certain obstacles. The experience impacted my portfolio project experience in a positive way, but more towards helping me get inspiration than helping me alter my idea.
     Everybody in the group I got loved the idea and agreed it was a nice change from the typical stalker/kidnapping that is done every year for the final project. For starters, one person mentioned including a puppy. I was a tad confused too and they didn’t really know what to do with it, but they said that many children’s films have one at some point and cause that “aww” feeling, creating even more happiness in the short. I might include one in the moving process (maybe the child gets a puppy to make them happier or gets one after moving), but I am not really making this a final decision, just an idea.
     They also suggested that the child should use their imagination to solve the issues rather than seeing something else. For example, showing the kid becoming a knight and stopping the parents’ fight, rather than just seeing the fight as knights fighting. They also said I could create a visually pleasing scene by having the child holding a cardboard stick, which then turns into a knight sword. This is a clever idea. However, I don’t know if it will be doable with the editing softwares I have, unless I use different camera shots and angles to hide the stick and then show it again when it is a sword.
     My classmates told me that renting U-hauls is actually cheaper than most would think and would be a nice addition to the film when showing the moving scene. I then found out the average price comes out to $19.99, which is doable! [1] I then started getting some ideas to help me get some more inspiration. A few years ago at my high school, somebody created a three-minute video about a little girl being a superhero. She constantly switches from her hero costume to her regular clothing and even after her mother reminds her she is not, the child continues to see herself as a superhero. [2] This short, Mighty, is very well done and gave me some ideas with editing techniques and situations I might incorporate.
     Lastly, my teacher joined in at one point and told me to watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. [3]
The main character, Walter, escapes his life by day-dreaming of a world filled with heroism, romance, and action. Later on, he takes action in the real world and goes on an adventure he never thought possible. [4] This film was a great inspiration. I was able to see how they made his imagination look like his reality at times, while making the film adventurous and inspiring. I will definitely look more into it and possibly even try to re-create some aspects with my own spin and story.

Ben Stiller in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)


[1] https://www.move.org/uhaul-review/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfl5id-oltU
[3] https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359950/
[4] https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359950/videoplayer/vi3628050457?ref_=vi_prev_btn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Completed Product

The project is now.... complete! Every component you need can be found down below. I hope you enjoy all of my hard work!! - Below I have i...